The Barony of Saint Lager is an ancient domain situated on the eastern side of the Brouilly hill in the Beaujolais region. It dates back to 1432 when its medieval fortress was transformed into a mansion in the 16th century. The vineyard is 30 acres and sits at the bottom of the hill where the soil is sandy silt. The vineyard was bought in 1981 by the Chateau de Pizay. They own several domains in Beaujolais and Bourgogne including a five star hotel for weddings and special occasions.
Pascal Dufaitre, oenology engineer and his team manage the company. He is now overseeing almost 200 acres in several appellations. The grapes are hand picked and whole grapes are put in large vats without crushing or destemming. After eight days of fermentation, the wine is aged in large oak barrels and bottled at the end of winter. It is light and fruity, easy to drink and has a garnet color.